Tuesday

The Quiet Hour

In my last class we had to read a selection called "The Quiet Hour". It was about adopting a new tradition where there would be a full hour that t.v. stations would not broadcast any shows or movies so that this way families can spend time together and grow closer.

While reading the story, I kept thinking to myself, “Families are NOT like this”. They over emphasized every little detail about watching television or spending time to sit and talk to each other, and personally I think it made families look bad. To me, the story was making it seem the television was the reason why people get divorced and mental illnesses begin. Their reason for this analysis was that we spend more time watching television than we do actually communication with each other. Mayer includes that if families spend the “Quiet Hour” to sit and talk about their problems, that the divorce and mental illness rate will go down.

Personally, I wouldn’t care if they made it mandated that television programs couldn’t play for an hour. I have a good relationship with my family and taking an hour away from T.V. wouldn’t make a difference. I only watch television on rare occasion, and for the most part during that time my family watches with me. Taking television away wouldn’t affect our lives.

No comments: